We need all the help we can get when applying for benefits, so here are some useful resources. All links open in a new tab.
Action for M.E.’s Welfare Benefits page
This page has factsheets for applying for each benefit when you have M.E., along with reconsiderations and appeals.
Action for M.E.’s Welfare Advice and Support Service
In addition to the above, Action for M.E. also has a service which provides advice on welfare benefits, disability discrimination and employment issues to people affected by M.E. over the phone.
Citizens Advice Bureau
Advice on your rights, debts, budgeting, benefits and finding your local CAB.
My blog posts related to benefits:
- My case study: How Pharmacist Support changes lives - I’ve written a case study on the difference the charity Pharmacist Support has made to me, to show how donations can transform the lives of pharmacists with disabilities. When I see other people in my situation, I feel very fortunate to belong to a profession that looks after peers who fall on hard times, especially when […]
- Making the most of PIP - Being awarded PIP at long last has opened up lots of other help such as travel cards, a blue badge and discounts for those who help me when I’m out and about.
- There’s a whole world out there – let me at it! - A few weeks ago I bought a mobility scooter and it’s been life-changing! Here’s a blog about what I’ve been able to do since and how it’s made my world so much bigger and better.
- Help with prescription costs in England - Working previously in a pharmacy and advising people on prescription exemptions has been really useful to me as a patient so I’ve written this guide which might help you to lower your health costs
- Prescription Charges Coalition campaign for free prescriptions - A campaign has been launched by a group of organisations calling for an end to prescription charges in England for working people with long term conditions.
- New Action for M.E. website launched! - Today sees the launch of Action for M.E.’s great new Online M.E. Centre at http://www.actionforme.org.uk and there’s a competition! Here’s a bit about the new website.
- Your tips for keeping warm in the winter months - I’ve been asking on social media for your tips for keeping warm in the winter months with M.E. and have had some great suggestions, which I’ve summarised here.
- Hidden faces of M.E. blog: Out of sight, out of mind - I’ve written this blog post as part of the Hidden faces of M.E. campaign. This is a week of blogs, videos and selfies by people with M.E. and Action for M.E. to help people understand the reality of living with the illness.